DraftKings Sports Betting App is live in New Jersey and anyone physically located within the state borders can place a real money sports bet on their phone. Read on for our review and answers on bet offerings, online betting, and promo code.
Who is DraftKings?
DraftKings is one of the two market leaders for daily fantasy sports, or DFS, in the United States. In DFS, players select athletes in a given sport, and compete to see whose selections perform better in a given time period. Winners receive cash prizes.
DFS functions more or less like traditional fantasy leagues, just on an accelerated basis. Still, within a few years, DraftKings, its chief rival FanDuel, and a host of smaller operators have built an industry with annual revenues surpassing $327 million.
What is the plan DraftKings Sportsbook?
First and foremost, DraftKings wants to establish its sports betting operations in New Jersey. The company has already made several affirmative steps to bring the DK product to the Garden State.
In February 2018, the company opened an office in Hoboken, New Jersey. Concurrently, it also hired a Head of Sportsbook, and to this day, every job opening at the Hoboken office involves sports betting.
DraftKings has also established several strategic partnerships to bring sports betting to fruition. In the past two months, the company has announced deals with Resorts Atlantic City and software developer Kambi Group.
Where and when will DraftKings Sportsbook launch?
The DraftKings sportsbook app went live on August 6, 2018 for anyone physically located inside the New Jersey state borders.
On July 16, DraftKings announced that it reached an agreement with Del Lago Resort & Casino in Waterloo, New York. At this point, it’s more groundwork than anything, since New York’s legal situation with sports betting is unsettled.
However, keep an eye on states in the northeast for the DK brand. It is also quite likely that DraftKings will pop up in Pennsylvania soon.
What does DraftKings Sportsbook look like?
The DraftKings Sports Betting App features a slick interface and comes equipped with 10 cent minimum bets!
With regard to types of bets, there are four main sports bets that are common to most properties. They are:
- Point spreads
- These bets are the most common sports bet.
- A sportsbook establishes an expected margin of victory.
- Players wager whether the favorite will exceed the margin, or whether the underdog will overcome it.
- If the underdog succeeds, it is said to have “covered” the spread.
- These bets are wagers on which team will win.
- You can see the moneylines by looking for the three-digit numbers next to team names.
- Pre-established payouts denote the favorite and underdog in each contest.
- Positive numbers mean the team is the underdog, and a bet of $100 would receive the posted payout.
- Conversely, negative numbers mean the team is the favorite, and players must wager the posted amount to receive a $100 payout.
- These are wagers on the combined scoring output of both teams.
- The sportsbook will establish what it believes the combination for each game will be.
- Bettors wager whether the actual total will be over or under the given amount.
- Hence, the given amount is often called the “over/under,” and players will say which direction they bet by saying they either “took the over” or “took the under.”
- These bets are on the long-term outcome of a particular sport or team.
- Often, they are wagers that a particular team will win its respective championship.
- Usually, sportsbooks offer these bets as straight odds wagers.
Aside from these four types, it is unclear whether DraftKings will offer other betting options. It is likely that the company will offer parlays, which are merely combined bets on multiple contests.
It may also offer proposition betting. These wagers, also called “prop bets,” often involve the outcome of events ancillary to gameplay. Most famous wagers that involve crazy stunts are prop bets.
Are there bets that DraftKings Sportsbook will not take?
From the company’s perspective, it will likely accept any bets that it can. However, the legal situation in particular markets may dictate various prohibitions.
For instance, there are several restrictions on sports betting in New Jersey. They are:
- No betting on high school sports of any kind.
- You can’t wager on collegiate events inside New Jersey, regardless of who’s playing.
- Bettors can’t bet on New Jersey colleges, no matter where they play.
- Players, coaches, officials, and any other connected personnel in a given sport cannot wager on that sport.
- You must be inside state lines to bet.
- You must be 21 or older.
DraftKings Sportsbook promotions
Anyone physically located inside the New Jersey state borders can take advantage of our DraftKings promo link. By using our link, bettors will get up to $200 in free bets (matched) on their initial deposit.