The Kansas City Royals (51-102) kick off a three-game series on Friday against the Houston Astros (85-68). The matchup begins at 8:10 PM ET at Minute Maid Park. The Astros will look to Framber Valdez (12-10) against the Royals and Cole Ragans (6-4).
Bet on this matchup: Sign up for DraftKings using our link and earn a first-time depositor bonus!
Houston vs. Kansas City Pitcher Matchup Info
- When: Friday, September 22, 2023 at 8:10 PM ET
- Where: Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas
- How to Watch on TV: SNSW
- Probable Pitchers: Valdez – HOU (12-10, 3.20 ERA) vs Ragans – KC (6-4, 3.44 ERA)
Watch MLB games this season on DISH!
Astros vs. Royals Starting Pitcher Stats (2023)
Astros Probable Starting Pitcher: Framber Valdez
- In his most recent appearance on Sunday, the lefty threw seven innings against the Kansas City Royals, allowing no earned runs while surrendering six hits.
- The 29-year-old has an ERA of 3.20, with 8.7 strikeouts per nine innings, in 29 games this season. Opposing hitters have a .221 batting average against him.
- Valdez is trying to continue a fifth-game quality start streak in this matchup.
- In six of his appearances this season he did not surrender an earned run.
- The 29-year-old ranks seventh in ERA (3.20), 12th in WHIP (1.092), and 28th in K/9 (8.7) among qualifying pitchers in MLB play this season.
- Valdez’s team is 13-16-0 against the spread this season in his starts.
- Games Valdez has started this season hit the over 15 times in 29 chances.
Valdez’s Recent Performance
|at Royals||Sep. 17||7.0||6||1||0||5||1|
|vs. Athletics||Sep. 11||7.0||4||3||3||10||1|
|at Rangers||Sep. 5||7.0||6||1||1||4||4|
|at Red Sox||Aug. 30||6.0||5||4||2||5||0|
|at Tigers||Aug. 25||7.0||0||0||0||6||5|
Royals Probable Starting Pitcher: Cole Ragans
- The left-hander’s last start was on Saturday, when he tossed six innings while giving up five earned runs on six hits in a matchup with the Houston Astros.
- The 25-year-old has an ERA of 3.44 and 10.8 strikeouts per nine innings with an opponent batting average of .202 in 27 games this season.
- He has started 11 games this season, earning a quality start (6 or more IP, 3 or fewer ER) in six of them.
- He has 15 appearances this season with zero earned runs allowed out of his 27 chances this season.
- The Royals have a 6-5-0 record against the spread in Ragans’ starts.
- Ragans’ starts hit the over on the run total four times in 11 games with a set total this season.
Ragans’ Recent Performance
|vs. Astros||Sep. 16||6.0||6||5||5||7||2|
|at Blue Jays||Sep. 10||5.2||1||2||2||6||6|
|vs. White Sox||Sep. 4||6.0||1||0||0||7||0|
|vs. Pirates||Aug. 29||7.0||3||0||0||9||1|
|at Athletics||Aug. 23||6.0||2||0||0||11||0|
Not all offers available in all states, please visit DraftKings for the latest promotions for your area. Must be 21+ to gamble, please wager responsibly. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, contact 1-800-GAMBLER.