The Kansas City Royals (48-101) enter a matchup against the Houston Astros (83-66) on Sunday following a four-game winning streak. The game is set to begin at 2:10 PM ET at Kauffman Stadium. The Astros will give the ball to Framber Valdez (11-10, 3.32 ERA), who is eyeing win No. 12 on the season, and the Royals will turn to Jordan Lyles (4-16, 6.33 ERA).
Bet on this matchup: Sign up for DraftKings using our link and earn a first-time depositor bonus!
Houston vs. Kansas City Pitcher Matchup Info
- When: Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 2:10 PM ET
- Where: Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri
- How to Watch on TV: BSKC
- Probable Pitchers: Valdez – HOU (11-10, 3.32 ERA) vs Lyles – KC (4-16, 6.33 ERA)
Watch MLB games this season on DISH!
Astros vs. Royals Starting Pitcher Stats (2023)
Astros Probable Starting Pitcher: Framber Valdez
- In his last time out on Tuesday against the Oakland Athletics, the lefty threw seven innings, allowing three earned runs while surrendering four hits.
- In 28 games this season, the 29-year-old has an ERA of 3.32, with 8.8 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .220 against him.
- Valdez is looking for his fifth straight quality start.
- He has had five appearances this season in which he kept his opponents to zero earned runs.
- Among qualifying pitchers in MLB play this season, the 29-year-old’s 3.32 ERA ranks ninth, 1.095 WHIP ranks 11th, and 8.8 K/9 ranks 26th.
- When Valdez starts, his team is 12-16-0 against the spread this season.
- In games Valdez has started this season, the teams are 15-13-0 at hitting the over.
Valdez’s Recent Performance
|vs. Athletics||Sep. 11||7.0||4||3||3||10||1|
|at Rangers||Sep. 5||7.0||6||1||1||4||4|
|at Red Sox||Aug. 30||6.0||5||4||2||5||0|
|at Tigers||Aug. 25||7.0||0||0||0||6||5|
|vs. Mariners||Aug. 19||5.0||10||6||6||5||2|
Royals Probable Starting Pitcher: Jordan Lyles
- The right-hander gave up seven earned runs and allowed seven hits in five innings pitched against the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday.
- The 32-year-old has pitched in 28 games this season with an ERA of 6.33 and 6.0 strikeouts per nine innings, with an opponent batting average of .254.
- He has started 28 games this season, earning a quality start (6 or more IP, 3 or fewer ER) in seven of them.
- He has one appearance with no earned runs allowed in 28 chances this season.
- Among qualified pitchers in the majors this campaign, the 32-year-old ranks 49th in ERA (6.33), 35th in WHIP (1.270), and 47th in K/9 (6.0).
- The Royals have a 10-18-0 record against the spread in Lyles’ starts.
- Lyles has had 28 starts that bookmakers set a total for this season, and 15 of those games finished over the total.
Lyles’ Recent Performance
|at White Sox||Sep. 12||5.0||7||7||7||3||0|
|vs. White Sox||Sep. 6||5.1||7||3||3||0||1|
|vs. Red Sox||Sep. 1||8.0||4||2||2||7||0|
|at Mariners||Aug. 26||3.0||6||7||7||4||3|
|at Cubs||Aug. 20||8.0||5||4||4||2||1|
Not all offers available in all states, please visit DraftKings for the latest promotions for your area. Must be 21+ to gamble, please wager responsibly. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, contact 1-800-GAMBLER.