A first-round NCAA Tournament matchup will see the 5-seed Villanova Wildcats (16-6) take the court as a 6.5-point favorite against the No. 12 seed Winthrop Eagles (23-1) on Friday. The contest tips off at 9:57 PM ET on TNT. Here’s what you need to know about this 5-12 matchup before filling out your brackets.
The betting insights and predictions in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of March 15, 2021, 4:10 PM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Best Betting Odds
The model projects the Wildcats to win, just as DraftKings does, but the model favors them by slightly more points (8.3 to 6.5).
The DraftKings point total for this game is just 4.5 points lower than the model projection.
Prediction: Villanova 76, Winthrop 68
Predictions are calculated by a data-driven algorithm (raw power score) that ranks head-to-head matchup results within a closed network of games. Prediction confidence is determined by the delta between each team’s raw power score.
Examining the Over/Under
- The average implied total for the Wildcats this season is 76.6 points, 3.6 more points than their implied total of 73 points in Friday’s game.
- Villanova has outscored this matchup’s implied point total (73) 13 times.
- The average implied point total on the season for the Eagles (81.2) is 14.2 more points than the team’s implied total in this matchup (67).
- Winthrop has put up more than 67 points in 22 games this season.
Implied totals are projected point totals for each team based on totals and spreads set by sportsbooks.
Villanova and Winthrop Records ATS
|ATS Record||ATS Record Against 6.5+ Point Spread||Over/Under Record (O-U-P)|
Against The Spread (ATS) records are only reflective of games that had odds on them.
Betting Tips – Shooting Stats
- This season, the Wildcats have a 44.9% shooting percentage from the field, which is 1.9% higher than the 43% of shots the Eagles’ opponents have made.
- Villanova has put together a 7-4 record against the spread and a 12-1 straight-up record in games it shoots better than 43% from the field.
- Winthrop’s record is 15-0 overall and 9-5 against the spread when its opponents make more than 44.9% of their shots from the field.
- The Eagles’ 46% shooting percentage from the field this season is 1.4 percentage points higher than the Wildcats have allowed to their opponents (44.6%).
- Winthrop has a 9-5 record against the spread and a 14-0 record overall in games when it shoots better than 44.6% from the field.
- Villanova is 9-4 against the spread and 11-3 overall in games it allows opponents to shoot higher than 46% from the field.
- The Wildcats are knocking down 35.2% of their three-point shots this season, 2.7% higher than the 32.5% the Eagles allow opponents to shoot from deep.
- Villanova has assembled an 8-4 record against the spread and a 13-1 straight-up record in games this season when the team knocks down more than 32.5% of its three-point attempts.
- Winthrop is 7-6 against the spread while putting together a 13-1 straight-up record when its opponents make more than 35.2% of their shots from three-point range.
- The Eagles are hitting 35.3% of their shots from three-point distance, which is just 0.1 percentage points fewer than the 35.4% the Wildcats’ opponents are averaging on the season.
- Winthrop has an 8-4 ATS record and has gone 13-0 straight-up when making more than 35.4% of its three-point attempts.
- Villanova is 10-1 overall and 7-4 ATS in games it shoots over 35.3% from deep.
- The Wildcats are 7-1 against the spread and 10-0 overall when they make more threes than their opponents, while the Eagles are 2-4 ATS and 6-1 straight up in games when they are out-shot from the three-point line.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from