A game after he went off for 32 points in a 73-66 loss to Florida Atlantic, Tae Hardy leads the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (8-16) on the road against the Rice Owls (13-12) on Tuesday, March 9, 2021. The Golden Eagles are underdogs by 4.5 points in the matchup, which tips off at 8:00 PM ET on ESPN+. The matchup’s over/under is set at 142.
The betting insights and predictions in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of March 9, 2021, 2:18 AM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Best Betting Odds
Golden Eagles (+4.5)
The model and DraftKings both have the Owls taking home the win, but the model has them winning by slightly less (1.8 points). Lean towards taking the Golden Eagles.
The DraftKings point total for this game is just 2.2 points higher than the model projection.
Prediction: Rice 71, Southern Miss 69
Predictions are calculated by a data-driven algorithm (raw power score) that ranks head-to-head matchup results within a closed network of games. Prediction confidence is determined by the delta between each team’s raw power score.
Examining the Over/Under
- The Owls’ average implied point total this season is 4.2 more points than their implied total in Tuesday’s game (77.2 implied points on average compared to 73 implied points in this game).
- Rice has outscored this matchup’s implied point total (73) 13 times.
- The average implied point total on the season for the Golden Eagles (68.8) is 0.2 fewer points than the team’s implied total in this matchup (69).
- Southern Miss has put up more than 69 points in seven games this season.
Implied totals are projected point totals for each team based on totals and spreads set by sportsbooks.
Rice and Southern Miss Records ATS
|ATS Record||ATS Record Against 4.5+ Point Spread||Over/Under Record (O-U-P)|
Against The Spread (ATS) records are only reflective of games that had odds on them.
Betting Tips – Shooting Stats
- The Owls are shooting 43.8% from the field this season, 1.4 percentage points higher than the 42.4% the Golden Eagles allow to opponents.
- In games when Rice shoots better than 42.4% from the field, it is 8-4 against the spread and 9-5 overall.
- Southern Miss has an 8-5 record against the spread and an 8-7 record overall when allowing its opponents to hit more than 43.8% of their shots from the field.
- The Golden Eagles’ 43.4% shooting percentage from the field this season is 2.1 percentage points lower than the Owls have given up to their opponents (45.5%).
- This season, Southern Miss has a 5-4 record overall and a 6-2 record against the spread in games the team collectively shoots over 45.5% from the field.
- Rice is 6-0-1 against the spread and 9-1 straight up in games when allowing opponents to shoot above 43.4% from the field.
- The Owls shoot 35.5% from three-point range, 2% higher than the 33.5% the Golden Eagles allow to opponents.
- Rice is 10-5-1 against the spread and 11-8 overall when it shoots better than 33.5% from distance.
- Southern Miss has put together an 8-5 against the spread while going 7-7 overall in games this season when its opponents shoot higher than 35.5% from downtown.
- The Golden Eagles’ three-point shooting percentage this season (32.4%) is just 4.1 percentage points lower than opponents of the Owls are averaging (36.5%).
- Southern Miss has a 4-3 ATS record and is 2-5 straight-up when the team hits more than 36.5% of its three-point attempts.
- Rice has a 4-1 ATS record and a 6-2 straight-up record in games this season when it knocks down more than 32.4% of its three-point shots.
- The Owls’ 10.4 made three-pointers per game this season is 4.9 more made shots on average than the 5.5 per game the Golden Eagles give up.
- When Rice makes more threes than its opponents, it is 8-3-1 against the spread and 9-6 overall. When Southern Miss is out-shot from deep by its opponents, it is 6-11 ATS and 4-14 straight up.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from