The Wichita State Shockers (12-4) will look to build on a four-game win streak when they host the No. 6 Houston Cougars (17-2) on Thursday, February 18, 2021 at Charles Koch Arena as 7.5-point underdogs. The matchup airs at 7:00 PM ET on ESPN2. The matchup has an over/under of 136.5 points.
The betting insights and predictions in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of February 18, 2021, 2:15 AM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Best Betting Odds
The spread for this game suggested by the model (5.5 points) is a little tighter than the 7.5-point edge DraftKings gives to the Cougars, though the data still has them as the favorite.
The model projects a total 1.4 points higher than the one set by DraftKings for this game.
Prediction: Houston 72, Wichita State 66
Predictions are calculated by a data-driven algorithm (raw power score) that ranks head-to-head matchup results within a closed network of games. Prediction confidence is determined by the delta between each team’s raw power score.
Examining the Over/Under
- The average implied total for the Cougars this season is 73 points, one more point than their implied total of 72 points in Thursday’s game.
- Houston has surpassed its implied point total for this matchup (72) 11 times this season.
- The 72.4-point average implied total on the season for the Shockers is 7.4 more points than the team’s 65-point implied total in this matchup.
- Wichita State has scored more than this game’s implied total of 65 points 11 times this season.
Implied totals are projected point totals for each team based on totals and spreads set by sportsbooks.
Houston and Wichita State Records ATS
|ATS Record||ATS Record Against 7.5+ Point Spread||Over/Under Record (O-U-P)|
Against The Spread (ATS) records are only reflective of games that had odds on them.
Betting Tips – Shooting Stats
- The Cougars are shooting 42.9% from the field this season, 2.6 percentage points higher than the 40.3% the Shockers allow to opponents.
- When Houston shoots higher than 40.3% from the field, it is 8-2 against the spread and 11-0 overall.
- Wichita State is 6-4-1 against the spread and 11-2 overall when allowing opponents to shoot higher than 42.9% from the field.
- The Shockers have shot at a 40.3% rate from the field this season, 3.9 percentage points greater than the 36.4% shooting opponents of the Cougars have averaged.
- Wichita State is 5-5 against the spread and 12-0 overall when shooting better than 36.4% from the field.
- Houston is 12-0 overall and 9-2 against the spread in games it allows opponents to shoot above 40.3% from the field.
- The Cougars are hitting 34.8% of their three-point shots this season, 5.8% higher than the 29% the Shockers allow opponents to shoot from deep.
- Houston is 14-1 overall and 11-3 against the spread when it shoots better than 29% from distance.
- Wichita State has a 6-4-1 record against the spread while going 10-3 overall in games this season when its opponents shoot better than 34.8% from deep.
- The Shockers are knocking down 32.4% of their shots from deep, which is 6.9 percentage points higher than the 25.5% the Cougars’ are averaging on the season.
- Wichita State is 5-6 ATS and 11-2 overall when hitting more than 25.5% of its three-point attempts.
- Houston is 10-3 ATS and 14-0 overall in games when shooting above 32.4% from deep.
- The Cougars make 8.9 three-pointers per game this season, 1.3 more makes per game than the Shockers give up (7.6).
- The Cougars are 12-2 against the spread and 15-0 overall when they make more threes than their opponents, while the Shockers are 2-3-1 ATS and 4-2 straight up in games when they are out-shot from the three-point line.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from