A pair of struggling teams square off when the Rice Owls (10-8) host the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (7-10) on Friday, February 5, 2021 at 3:00 PM ET. The Owls are 4-point favorites as they look to stop a five-game losing streak against the Golden Eagles, who have lost four straight. The point total in the matchup is 137.5.
The betting insights and predictions in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of February 5, 2021, 2:15 AM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Best Betting Odds
The model projects the Owls to win, just as DraftKings does, but the model favors them by a small margin more (4.6 to 4).
DraftKings and the model are extremely close in their point total projections for this game, within 1.0 point of each other.
Prediction: Rice 72, Southern Miss 67
Predictions are calculated by a data-driven algorithm (raw power score) that ranks head-to-head matchup results within a closed network of games. Prediction confidence is determined by the delta between each team’s raw power score.
Examining the Over/Under
- The Owls have an average implied point total of 77.5 this season, which is 6.5 points higher than their implied total in Friday’s game (71).
- Rice has scored more than its implied point total for this matchup (71) 11 times this season.
- The average implied point total on the season for the Golden Eagles (68.5) is 1.5 more points than the team’s implied total in this matchup (67).
- Southern Miss is attempting to surpass its implied point total for this matchup (67) for the sixth time this season.
Implied totals are projected point totals for each team based on totals and spreads set by sportsbooks.
Rice and Southern Miss Records ATS
|ATS Record||ATS Record Against 4+ Point Spread||Over/Under Record (O-U-P)|
Against The Spread (ATS) records are only reflective of games that had odds on them.
Betting Tips – Shooting Stats
- The Owls are shooting 45.6% from the field this season, 4.9 percentage points higher than the 40.7% the Golden Eagles allow to opponents.
- Rice is 6-4 against the spread and 7-5 overall when it shoots better than 40.7% from the field.
- Southern Miss is 8-4 against the spread and 7-7 overall when its opponents shoot higher than 45.6% from the field.
- The Golden Eagles have shot at a 43.7% rate from the field this season, -1.3 percentage points above the 45% shooting opponents of the Owls have averaged.
- Southern Miss has a 6-2 record against the spread and a 5-5 record overall in games when it shoots over 45% from the field.
- Rice is 7-1 overall and 5-0-1 against the spread in games it allows opponents to shoot above 43.7% from the field.
- The Owls shoot 36.9% from deep, 5% higher than the 31.9% the Golden Eagles allow to opponents.
- Rice is 7-5-1 against the spread and 9-7 overall when it shoots better than 31.9% from distance.
- Southern Miss has put together a 7-3 against the spread while going 7-5 overall in games this season when its opponents shoot better than 36.9% from deep.
- The Golden Eagles three-point shooting percentage this season (34.8%) is 0.4 percentage points higher than opponents of the Owls are averaging (34.4%).
- Southern Miss has a 4-2 ATS record and is 4-4 straight-up when the team hits more than 34.4% of its three-point attempts.
- Rice has a 6-4 straight-up record and a 5-1-1 ATS record this season when it connects on more than 34.8% of its three-point attempts.
- The Owls’ 10.3 made three-pointers per game this season is 4.3 more made shots on average than the 6 per game the Golden Eagles give up.
- Rice is 5-3-1 against the spread and 7-5 overall when it hit more three-pointers than its opponents, while Southern Miss is 5-5 ATS and 3-8 straight up in games when it is out-shot from distance.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from