The Minnesota Vikings (6-9), who have lost three straight games, are favorites against the Detroit Lions (5-10), losers of three straight, on Sunday, January 3, 2021 at Ford Field. The over/under is set at for the outing.
The betting insights and predictions in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of December 29, 2020, 2:41 PM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Vikings vs. Lions Odds
|Lions (+7.0)||Over (54.5)||Vikings 28 Lions 27|
Predictions are calculated by a data-driven algorithm (raw power score) that ranks head-to-head matchup results within a closed network of games. Prediction confidence is determined by the delta between each team’s raw power score.
Vikings Betting Insights
- Minnesota is just 6-9 against the spread.
- The Vikings are just 0-2 ATS when favored by at least 7.0 points.
- Minnesota’s games have hit the over in 10 out of 15 outings this season (66.7%).
- The average points per game output for the Vikings this season, 26.2, is 5.9 fewer than the 32.1 the Lions have given up in each contest.
- When they meet or outpace their scoring average this season, Minnesota is 5-5 and 4-6 against the spread.
- When the Detroit defense allows 32.1 points or fewer this year, the Lions have put together a 5-3 overall record and a 6-2 record against the spread.
- Minnesota has a 4-3 record against the spread on the road this year, and is 3-4 overall in away games.
Get more NFL betting picks and tips from the PlayPicks staff HERE
Lions Betting Insights
- Detroit has a losing 6-9 record against the spread.
- 9 Detroit’s 15 games this year have gone over the point total (60% of its opportunities).
- The Lions have averaged 6.5 fewer points per game this season (22.8) than the Vikings have allowed (29.3).
- Detroit is 5-5 overall and 6-4 against the spread when they score at least 22.8 points this season.
- When Minnesota allows opposing offenses to put 29.3 points or fewer on the scoreboard this year, they are 6-3 overall and 5-4 against the spread.
- Detroit is just 2-5 against the spread in home games this year, and is 1-6 overall at home.
|Off. Points per Game (Rank)||Def. Points per Game (Rank)||Average Total|
|Vikings||26.2 (13)||29.3 (28)||55.5|
|Lions||22.8 (24)||32.1 (32)||54.9|
Vikings Players to Watch
- Kirk Cousins leads the team with 3,860 passing yards (257.3 yards per game) and has a 67.4% completion percentage this year (321-of-476) while throwing 32 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 15 games. He also has 155 rushing yards on 28 carries, averaging 10.3 yards per game.
- Dalvin Cook has racked up a team-high 1,557 rushing yards (111.2 yards per game) and scored 16 touchdowns in 14 games. He has added 44 catches for 361 yards (25.8 receiving yards per game) with one receiving touchdown.
- This season, Justin Jefferson has 79 catches (on 113 targets) to lead the team with 1,267 yards (84.5 per game) with seven touchdowns in 15 games.
- Adam Thielen’s statline this year shows 70 catches for 868 yards and 14 touchdowns over the course of 15 games. He averages 57.9 receiving yards per game and has been targeted 103 times.
- Ifeadi Odenigbo has 3.5 sacks to lead the team, and has also collected 3.0 TFL and 36 tackles over 15 games.
- Eric Wilson has collected 110 tackles, 6.0 TFL, 2.5 sacks, and three interceptions to lead the team in tackles so far in 15 games over the course of the 2020 campaign.
- Harrison Smith has a team-high four interceptions and has tacked on 80 tackles, 2.0 TFL, 0.5 sacks, and nine passes defended 15 in games this season.
Lions Players to Watch
- This year, Matthew Stafford has put up 3,791 passing yards (252.7 yards per game) while going 319-for-497 (64.2% completion percentage) and throwing 23 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 15 games.
- Adrian Peterson has racked up a team-high 541 rushing yards (36.1 yards per game) and scored six touchdowns in 15 games.
- D’Andre Swift has 467 yards on 102 carries (38.9 ypg), with seven rushing touchdowns over the course of 12 games. He also has 43 catches for 341 yards (28.4 ypg) and two touchdowns.
- Marvin Jones Jr. has been targeted 104 times and has 68 catches to lead the team with 798 yards (53.2 ypg) while scoring seven touchdowns in 15 games this season.
- T.J. Hockenson’s statline this year shows 64 catches for 698 yards and six touchdowns in 15 games. He averages 46.5 receiving yards per game and has been targeted 98 times.
- Danny Amendola has caught 45 passes on 67 targets for 596 yards and zero touchdowns, averaging 45.8 yards per game in 13 contests in 2020.
- Romeo Okwara has collected a team-leading 9.0 sacks, while adding 10.0 TFL and 43 tackles over 15 games.
- In 14 games over the 2020 campaign, Tracy Walker has racked up 70 tackles and 4.0 TFL and leads the team in tackles.
- This season, Duron Harmon leads the team with two interceptions and has added 60 tackles and four passes defended 15 in games.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from