What is the single most important aspect of fantasy football?
Many players have won their seasonal leagues with savvy late-season adds, or by making the right start/sit decisions, but the initial draft is clearly the most important factor in terms of determining a seasonal fantasy football champion.
The folks at DRAFT have simplified that theory by creating a DFS platform that focuses on the ability to make the right selection in a snake draft format.
Now they’re going one step further by creating a huge a “Best Ball” contest where the initial draft determines everything. Users compete in a 12-team pool and those who advance will earn a shot at a huge chunk of a record-breaking $3,500,000 prize pool.
Here is a quick breakdown of how the Best Ball contest will work:
DRAFT Best Ball Championship Structure:
This contest is quite simple in terms of its structure.
- Entrants can pay a $25 entry fee anytime before Week 1 kickoff on Sep. 5, 2019. There is a limit of 150 entries per user.
- Entrants can choose a draft time anytime before Week 1 and will be grouped into a 12-team pool.
- Drafts will be 18 rounds with a 30-second pick clock. Users must draft at least 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE and one more RB/WR/TE.
- Scoring is based on the DRAFT standard system which awards 0.5 points per reception.
- Entrants compete against each other from Week 1 to Week 12 of the NFL season with the highest score calculated from the top 8 players at the eligible positions.
- The winner of each 12-team pool advances to the Playoffs, run in Weeks 13, 14, and 15.
- Entrants must place in the top three of a 24-team pool in each week of the playoffs to advance to the Finals.
- The rest of the field in Week 1 of the playoffs earns a sequential payout between $60 and $125. In Week 2, the payout is between $250 and $500, and in Week 3, it is between $1,000 and $3,000.
- In Week 16 of the NFL season, the Finals will commence with 27 teams facing off for a $1,000,000 prize and a minimum prize of $3,000.
DRAFT Best Ball Notes
The biggest difference between Best Ball and the typical DFS or seasonal fantasy football contests is the search for upside.
Since 10 players on the 18-man roster won’t have counting scores, it makes sense to draft players that are typically too risky to deploy in those other formats.
The best eight point totals on your team will be applied to your score, regardless of who you choose to “start.” The tiebreaker in the DRAFT Best Ball Championship goes to the team with the highest scoring individual player. If there is still a tie, the tiebreaker goes to the second-highest scoring individual player, and so on.
DRAFT Best Ball Championship Review
This is a fresh take on a unique format that should generate a lot of interest to form a huge field and justify the record-breaking $3,500,000 prize pool.
Those entrants lucky enough to win their 12-team pool will be deserved winners based on the large sample size of 12 weeks of NFL action.
Any entrant that wins their initial 12-team league will be guaranteed at least a portion of the huge prize pool and at least one more week of excitement.
While the counter-argument to this format is that users can literally do nothing other than root for the players that they drafted, that is arguably fantasy football boiled down to its most pure form.
The entrants that do the best job researching the 2019-2020 NFL season ahead of their draft, and get a certain amount of luck in terms of injuries, will deservedly move on and earn a shot at a life-changing payday.